April 17, 2009

ADHD - No Fear, No Limits

Right from childhood I was afraid most of the time...my fears ranged from my future to even the telephone. That changed with my diagnosis of ADHD in September 2007 by Dr. Neville Misquitta.

After moving to Germany I visited Dr. Ulrich Rothfelder in Munich in Nov 2008 .


During the visit Dr. Rothfelder reviewed my case history. I told him that in my professional life after opting for my preferred role of a designer rather than a project manager I was feeling a sense of relief which was helping me feel better. I had been on ADHD medication (Atomoxetine) for 15 months during which time I took the important decision of changing my job and role without self doubt. I told Dr. Rothfelder that I felt reasonably confident to try to manage without medication and he completely supported me. Under his supervision I tapered-off my medication during the next 2 weeks. During a follow up visit in March 2009, I mentioned to Dr. Rothfelder that I no longer have any fears and he said, "There is nothing to fear". Hearing that from him gave me a special feeling which I cannot describe in words. After coming back home I made a group in LinkedIn with the title -

ADHD - No Fear, No Limits

It is a group for those who believe ADHD when managed well has nothing to fear and as Michael Phelps has shown, there are No Limits as well.



2 comments:

  1. HI......Sir Inspiring story indeed. I too have to left the job because of concentratin problem and have always suffered because of it through out my life. My doctor has also prescribed me the same.
    BUt many people tell me that this drug has sexual, Liver, Heart and Alopecial implications.....and disconutinuing it is very difficult.....sir could u share ur experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment. My experience with my prescribed medication (Atomoxetine) was good. I started it in Sept 2007 under the supervision of my psychiatrist in New Delhi. He first introduced a trial dosage of 40mg and had me tested for liver function and heart echocardiogram. When he found the results in order he incresed the dosage to the target level of 80mg. Fortunately I did not have any side effects. While on the medication I started sorting my life and taking resolute decisions with no self doubt. I changed my job to a role which I always preferred and enjoyed. The new job required me to move to Germany. I stopped taking the medication after 15 months of usage when I felt that I could manage without it. The tapering off was done over a period of 2 weeks under the supervision of my psychiatrist in Germany. That was in Jan 2009 and I have not taken the medication since then. Thanks again and I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete