July 1, 1997

Daewoo Motors India Ltd. - My First Job

The first company I joined after completing my B-Tech degree was Daewoo Motors India Limited (DMIL). I joined as a GET (Graduate Engineering Trainee) and was selected at the campus placements of my college IIT Madras. I was the very last one in our batch to get a job but it was a job that I had always dreamed of...to work in Manufacturing. DMIL had started a new facility in Greater Noida to manufacture cars, trucks, engines and transmissions. This is the DMIL factory seen in Google Maps.



The newly constructed Engine and Transaxle Shop was state-of-the-art facility with 200 CNC machines and I wanted to work there. But DMIL (and life) had other plans for me and I was assigned to the Technical Center. Then after just 3 months, I found myself among the 8 engineers who were to be sent to Daewoo Technical Centre in Korea for an 18 month training programme.

1 comment:

  1. It is really interesting how early career paths end up unfolding. Wanting to work on the shop floor with all those CNC machines at Greater Noida, only to be moved to the Technical Centre and then packed off to South Korea three months later, must have been a proper whirlwind experience. Early career pivots like that almost feel like a practical exercise in managing the unexpected similar to how students navigate unpredictable challenges when seeking Risk Management Assignment Help  during their studies. You prepare for one specific trajectory, but life hands you a completely different set of opportunities. Did that sudden move to Korea end up changing your long-term career goals compared to what you originally visualised?

    ReplyDelete